What It Is, Causes, Signs & Homeopathic Management of Dementia
Dementia isn’t technically a disease, but more of a way to describe a set of symptoms like poor memory and difficulty learning new information, which can make it really hard to function independently. The decline in mental function interferes with your daily life and activities. It’s estimated that about 50% of people age 85 and older have dementia and Alzheimer disease, is the most common cause of dementia.
What happens in Dementia?
Dementia entails a decline in mental function from a previously higher level that’s severe enough to interfere with daily living. A person with dementia has two or more of these specific difficulties, including a decline in:
Early symptoms of dementia include:
- Forgetting recent events or information.
- Repeating comments or questions over a very short period.
- Misplacing commonly used items or placing them in unusual spots.
- Not knowing the season, year or month.
- Having difficulty coming up with the right words.
- Experiencing a change in mood, behavior or interests.
Signs that dementia is getting worse include:
- Your ability to remember and make decisions further declines.
- Talking and finding the right words becomes more difficult.
- Daily complex tasks, such as brushing your teeth, making a cup of coffee, working a TV remote, cooking and paying bills become more challenging.
- Lessening of rational thinking and behavior and your ability to problem-solve.
- Sleeping pattern changes.
- Increases or worsening of anxiety, frustration, confusion, agitation, suspiciousness, sadness and/or depression.
- Needing more help with activities of daily living, such as grooming, toileting, bathing and eating.
- Experiencing hallucinations (seeing people or objects that aren’t there).
These symptoms are general symptoms of dementia. Each person diagnosed with dementia has different symptoms, depending on what area of their brain is damaged. Additional symptoms and/or unique symptoms occur with specific types of dementia.
What is the best management for Dementia?
Homeopathy is very proficient in managing the symptoms of Dementia and has an excellent success rate in homeopathic treatment.Have a look at some of the homeopathic remedies used:
Nux Vomica – Disposition to find fault with everything and everybody; extreme sensitiveness to the words and attention of others; very irritable, quarrelsome, vindictive.
Calcarea Carb – Complete lack of development of brain and other organs with forgetfulness. Slowness and inability to acquire knowledge.
Baryta Carb – here is forgetfulness while speaking and the mind seems clouded. The patient tends to forget the words that he is about to speak. There is a loss of memory, and when the patient tries to recollect past events, he is unable to do so.
Anacardium Orientale – Forgetfulness makes the person low spirited. There is also a marked absent mindedness and a deficiency of ideas. Homeopathy also uses it for the treatment of Alzheimer Disease.
It is, however, worthwhile to remember that self-medication is not recommended.