What It Is, Signs & Homeopathic Management of Headache
Do you suffer from frequent, severe headache on one side of the head? Does light or sound increase your pain? Do you feel as if a thousand hammers are hitting your head?
18% of the entire world’s population suffers at some point in their life from this irritating headache.
What happens in Headache?
|Prodrome Phase||– Occurs in about 60% of those with migraines |
– Onset- 2 hours to 2 days before the start of pain
– Symptoms: Altered mood, irritability, fatigue, stiff muscles, neck
rigidity, constipation or diarrhoea, and sensitivity to smells or noise
|Aura Phase||– Lasts lesser than 60 minutes with visual, sensory or motor symptoms|
– Partial alteration in the field of vision which makes it difficult for driving or reading
– Blurring of vision, losing part of field of vision
– Pins and needles-like sensation on hands, arm and face with numbness
|Pain Phase||– One-sided, throbbing, and moderate to severe |
– Appears gradually and increases by physical exertion.
– The pain usually lasts for 4 to 72 hours in adults and 1 hour in children
– Nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound
|Postdrome Phase||– This phase has the effects of migraine which last for few days.|
– Soreness at the region of pain along with tired feeling, head pain, digestive disturbances, skipping meals, mood changes, and lethargy
Diet and Nutrition
- Avoid smoking or even being around a lit cigar or cigarette.
- Restrict your intake of alcohol, red wine and champagne.
- Restrict coffee and caffeinated drinks. The more caffeine you consume, the more chances are of having headaches.
- Do not drink or eat anything that has artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid canned foods and food with preservatives or artificial colors.
- Avoid monosodium glutamate (Ajinomoto) used in Chinese cooking.
- Keep a diary to record when your headache occurs, its symptoms, what you had eaten before the headache started, food cravings during that period, sleep patterns, menstrual cycle and other factors. This will help you to find out what triggers your headache, so that you can avoid those factors and prevent further attacks.
- Consume plenty of water.
- During the attack, drink 3 glasses of very cold water (if this suits you) or warm water and lie down in a dark room with a cold pack on the head. Take complete bed rest.
- Get a regular massage around the neck and shoulders to relieve the tension in the muscles. Proper rest and sleep is needed for prevention of migraine attacks.
- Eat a proper balanced diet and maintain regular eating habits.
- Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acid-rich foods like flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans and tofu. They have anti-inflammatory properties and help tremendously to reduce the intensity and frequency of attacks.
- Limit intake of simple carbohydrates like sugar, all sugary foods, alcohol, soda, etc. Take a high-fiber diet- whole grains, bran, oat, green leafy vegetables, peas, beans, potatoes, raw vegetables, salads, dried fruits and fresh fruits.
- Don’t eat too many sweets or fat-rich items.
- Don’t eat at odd times.
- Don’t have long intervals between meals; eat healthy snacks at frequent intervals throughout the day, to maintain blood sugar levels.
- Don’t overexert yourself. Do regular moderate exercise.
- Avoid going out in sun; when unavoidable, carry an umbrella and wear dark glasses.
- Avoid taking pain killers and oral contraceptives.
- Avoid strong smelling perfumes, deodorants and detergents
What is the best treatment for Headache?
Homeopathic treatment for headache is completely safe, without any side effects and treats through a holistic approach. Few of our amazing remedies include:
- Belladonna: When migraine begins at the back of the head and moves forward on the right side and is usually worse in the afternoons.
- Iris Versicolor: When migraine is accompanied by severe heartburn, nausea, vomiting and blurring of vision. Nausea is so intense that even vomiting does not relieve it.
- Glonoine: When an attack of migraine comes on going out in the sun. It is especially thought of when migraine starts in a menopausal woman.
- Sanguinaria: When right-sided migraine comes on as a result of digestive disturbances and skipping meals. The pain is usually relieved after vomiting.
- Natrum Muriaticum: One of the best remedies in homeopathic treatment for migraine coming on after emotional upset. It is usually accompanied by a tingling sensation in the face.
It is, however, worthwhile to remember that self-medication is not recommended.