What It Is, Causes, Signs & Homeopathic Management of Allergic Rhinitis
How often do you suffer from bouts of sneezing or an itchy running nose? Does your day begin with bouts of severe sneezing? Are you always affected in any particular weather? If YES, then you are suffering from nasal allergy or Allergic Rhinitis.
Allergic rhinitis is an allergic reaction of the body to certain substances allergens that we breathe in.
Our immune system protects our body from harmful viruses, bacteria and other substances that enters our body. Allergic reaction is when our immune system overreacts to these allergens producing a cluster of distressing symptoms.
What happens in Allergic Rhinitis?
The onset of symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis may be gradual or sudden depending upon the degree of exposure to a particular allergen.
- Paroxysmal sneezing
- Nasal discharge which is clear and copious with itching
- Post nasal drip (when nasal mucus is produced in excess and tends to “drop back” into the throat)
- Nasal congestion and obstruction
- Decreased sense of smell
- Itching and redness of eyes with watering
- Discomfort in ears
- Constitutional symptoms include fatigue, loss of weight and decreased appetite.
Diet and Nutrition
- Warm fluids like will help to clear the airways by aiding liquefication of mucus.
- A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is found abundant in fish, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin, and flax seeds will lower the risk of developing allergies in kids and adults.
- Certain foods like yogurt are naturally rich in healthy bacteria. They are called probiotics and help to boost immunity and reduce chances of infections.
- Kids and adults who are sensitive to certain food products like egg, milk, peanuts should avoid consuming them to prevent the body from developing hives and swelling.
- Identify the cause or allergen and try to avoid it.
- Keep a diary and try to trace a pattern or relation between your allergic reaction and the allergen. For instance – Constant sneezing while doing housework indicates that a person is allergic to house dust.
- Allergens can be avoided by choosing unprocessed food and checking food labels for additives.
- Try to avoid stress, anxiety and tension as these can influence the frequency and severity of symptoms
- In case of severe breathlessness, giddiness or feeble pulse, visit your nearest physician
- Breastfeed your baby for the first 6 months to strengthen their immune system and prevent them from infections
What is the best treatment for Allergic Rhinitis?
The goal of homeopathic treatment for Allergic Rhinitis is to normalize this very tendency of the immune system and the right homeopathic remedy can achieve this in a gentle and long-lasting way!
Allium cepa: Indicated in watery and extremely acrid discharge from nose and bland tears from the eyes.
Pulsatilla: In cases of thick yellowish discharge from the nose with dry mouth without thirst.
Sabadilla : For violent, spasmodic sneezing with intense itching, tingling and an obstructed sensation in the nose.
Staphysagria: Can be effective when it comes to allergies to fragrance especially of flowers.
It is, however, worthwhile to remember that self-medication is not recommended.