What It Is, Signs & Homeopathic Management of Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is much more than just a simple sore throat.
Tonsils play a vital role in protecting the body against harmful bacteria and viruses. However, when the immunity reduces, the tonsils fall prey to these infective organisms thereby resulting in swelling (inflammation) of the tonsils.
Homeopathic philosophy has always supported the fact that tonsils are an integral part of the body’s immune system and should be saved from the surgeon’s knife as far as possible.
What happens in Tonsillitis?
- Pain in throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Fever, usually high, and may be accompanied by chills
- Pain in ears occasionally
- Other constitutional symptoms include malaise, headache, body ache
- Tonsils red and swollen with yellowish spots of purulent matter
- Oedema of uvula and soft palate
- Enlargement of lymph nodes
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Salt water gargling is advisable as it relieves soreness of throat.
- Have plenty of fluids every day.
- Avoid oily, sour and cold foods and drinks.
- Avoid tonsillectomy as far as possible, until the condition is severe and recurrent.
- Under any circumstances, do not self-medicate.
Diet and Nutrition
Usually kids suffering from Tonsillitis avoid eating and drinking because of the pain.
- Eating soft foods like plain pasta, rice, yogurt and puddings are easy to swallow and provide relief too.
- Certain foods like citrus fruits, chilled or sour fruits and snacks should be avoided.
- Fluids like lukewarm water, lemon and honey juice will help to a greater extent.
- Multi-vitamins, especially the ones that contain vitamins C and E, selenium and zinc, are excellent choices
How well Homeopathy works in Tonsillitis?
Homoeopathic treatment for Tonsillitis utilizes minute doses of well-researched remedies to enhance the body’s natural healing process. It treats the patient as a whole through promotion of inner balance at mind, emotional and spiritual level by raising the quality of immunity.
Baryta Carb – it is one of the 1st grade medicine for chronic tonsillitis. The tonsils are inflamed, swelled and very painful in acute condition.
Mercurius Solubis – The key symptoms to prescribe tonsillitis are – pain in throat, congestion of tonsils and unable to drink or eat anything.
Belladonna – Belladonna has the best anti inflammatory action and thus helps a lot to relief the symptoms both in acute and chronic condition.
It is, however, worthwhile to remember that self-medication is not recommended.