What It Is, Signs & Homeopathic Management of Adenoids
Swollen or enlarged adenoids are among the commonest conditions children suffer from. Because there is a chronic noseblock, the child’s voice can acquire a nasal twang.
Classmates and peers always find amusement in teasing such children . This is the time when your child needs maximum love, care and attention.
Adenoids form an important part of the Defense mechanism in children. They perform a key role in fighting infections. But they become less important once a child gets older and the body develops other ways to fight germs. Adenoids shrink naturally once a child reaches 5 years of age and tend to disappear altogether by the time the child becomes a teenager.
Because Adenoids trap germs that enter the body, adenoid tissue sometimes swells (gets puffier) temporarily as they try to fight off an infection. But while fighting the infection, Adenoids can themselves fall prey to it and become diseased. Airways are obstructed, and nasal breathing becomes difficult.
What happens in Adenoids?
- Nose always feel blocked due to excessive mucus secretion.
- Breathing is laborous due to blocked nose and must breathe through the mouth.
- Child speaks in a nasal intonation as if nose is pinched.
Snoring and Sleep Apnea
- Nose block causes air to move through an obstructed path and this causes snoring while sleeping.
- Child may stop breathing for a few seconds during sleep due to this condition and therefore it causes sleep apnea.
- This can result in drowsiness during the daytime. These are significant symptoms of enlarged Adenoids found in child.
- Patient may experience pain and tenderness in the throat.
- Adenoid infection may also flare up upper respiratory tract infections (URTI).
- Throat becomes red and is very painful. These are chief symptoms of adenoids.
- Child cries during meals because of painful throat.
- Child avoids solid since it initiates more pain.
- Adenoid inflammation also flares up inflammation of surrounding structure leading to swelling of neck.
- Infection of ear is very common due to close proximity of adenoids and opening of Eustachian tubes in throat.
- Earache and suppurative otitis media is common in symptoms of adenoids.
- Blockage of nose leads to mucus logging and thereby multiplication of bacteria in mucus.
- This causes infection of adjoining paranasal sinuses resulting in sinusitis. These symptoms are present along with symptoms of adenoids.
What can Adenoids lead to?
Adenoids enlargement causes an atypical appearance of the face, known as Adenoid facies. Features of Adenoid facies include:
- Mouth breathing
- Elongated face
- Prominent incisors (upper 4 and lower 4 front teeth)
- Hypoplastic maxilla (underdeveloped upper jaw)
- Short upper lip
- Elevated nostrils
- High arched palate
Diet and Nutrition
- Eating soft foods like plain pasta, rice, yogurt and puddings are easy to swallow and provide relief too.
- Certain foods like citrus fruits, chilled or sour fruits, cold food, cold drinks, ice, ice-creams and aerated drinks and snacks should be avoided.
- Fluids like lukewarm water, lemon and honey juice will help to a greater extent. Gargle with warm water, a pinch of salt and turmeric to sooth the throat.
- Dairy products like milk, butter, cheese should be avoided as they increase mucus secretion in the respiratory system.
- Consume more fruits, raw vegetables, hot vegetable soups, carrots, bananas, avocado, raspberries, cauliflower, whole grains, unpolished rice and wheat germ, dried beans, peas and soybeans in diet.
- Consume more of vitamin A-rich foods like carrots and tomatoes, liver oils of fish, as they help in maintaining the integrity of the respiratory mucosa.
- Every morning, a mixture of cup water, little ginger, 2-3 leaves of sweet basil (tulsi).
- Eat healthy and balanced diet. Include more green vegetables in your child’s diet.
- Make sure your child drinks enough water to facilitate easy discharge of toxins from body.
- Encourage the child to stay active. This increases immunity.
- Teach children about hygiene and importance of washing hands.
- Keep your kids away from dust and dirt.
- Avoid smoking in front of kids.
- Reduce intake of junk foods in kids.
- Do not self-medicate.
How well Homeopathy works in Adenoids?
Few of our amazing remedies include:
- Agraphis: A very potent remedy for enlarged adenoids. It is useful in cases where there is tendency to recurrent middle ear infections due to enlarged adenoids. Stuffy nose is present. Hearing is impaired due to enlarged adenoids.
- Tuberculinum: It is one of the most effective medicines for enlarged adenoids, tonsils and lymph nodes. Children who get infections of the ear, nose and throat every other week or every other month are usually suitable for this remedy.
- Hydrastis: Again a wonderful remedy for adenoid problems. Thick, sticky, yellowish nasal discharge is present. Also there is discharge from back of nose. There is associated diminished hearing.
It is, however, worthwhile to remember that self-medication is not recommended.